How Your Auto Insurance Policy Will Help Cover Your Medical Bills After a Car Accident

After a car accident in the state of Florida, you may have questions about how your auto insurance policy works. Who will pay for your medical bills as a result of the injuries you sustained (your insurance, the other driver’s insurance, etc.)? This article was created as a primer on who is responsible for paying for your damages.

Personal Injury Protection

If you are injured in a car accident and you are one of the insured parties on the auto insurance policy, you will be making a “no-fault” injury claim on Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage that Florida law requires you to carry. Florida’s no-fault state requirement includes you carrying PIP on your auto insurance policy and turning to your insurance for coverage of your medical expenses first.

PIP claims are considered first-party claims. This means you are making a claim to your own insurance company, rather than the other party’s insurance policy. This is similar to having your health insurance pay for a medical expense. PIP covers medical bills without regard to fault in the accident.

In the state of Florida, PIP is required to cover medical expenses. PIP coverage pays for up to $10,000 in medical bills, however, it does not cover all your bills. Florida PIP laws require your insurance to pay 80% of the medical bills which will max out at ten thousand dollars. You will still be responsible for the other 20%. So, how can you cover the additional 20% of medical bills? “Medpay”.

Medical Payments (“MedPay”)

When you purchased your car insurance in Florida, you may have also elected to choose Medical Payment (MedPay) coverage on your policy. In Florida, MedPay coverage is optional and only applies to medical payments. MedPay will cover you, any of your passengers, and even pedestrians that may have been involved. Many insured drivers do not have MedPay coverage, but it may prove useful. This type of coverage is very beneficial as a supplement to your PIP coverage, as it will pay for the 20% co-pay that PIP does not pay and for medical expenses above the $10,000 cutoff.

Good 2 Go Chiropractic

The team at Good2Go Chiropractic has years of experience dealing with the insurance companies. If you or a loved one has been hurt in an automobile accident, call Good2Go Chiropractic today. We can help you navigate payment for treatment of your injuries through your auto insurance policy. Our phone number is (727) 722-7700. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.


Dr. Ryan P. Goodman and the staff at Good 2 Go Chiropractic are not personal injury lawyers and any legal questions should be addressed to a qualified personal injury attorney. We can provide names of local attorneys if you do not have one.

Call Us Text Us
Skip to content